[This post is also on our LiveJournal community]
Laura Hershey was an internationally known American writer, poet, activist, consultant, partner, mother and woman with a disability, based in Colorado. She passed away suddenly on November 26, 2010, after returning from a family vacation.
She had just written about her trip here: The Good and Bad of Gratitude
- You Get Proud By Practicing: Laura Hershey, Writer, Poet, Activist, Consultant, has died (at Feminists With Disabilities/FWD)
- Laura Hershey, renowned disability rights activist, writer and consultant, dies (at Media dis&dat)
- Laura’s own sites: http://www.LauraHershey.com/ (newer blog-based site) and http://CripCommentary.com/ (older archives)
- “You Get Proud By Practicing” is one of Laura’s most famous poems.
- This poem is audio by Laura: “A Call to Arms,” poem by Laura Hershey
- Listen to Laura’s KQED radio commentary about assisted suicide
- Interview with Laura Hershey on Jerry Lewis Humanitarian Award 2/26/2009 – EndeavorFreedomTV | Internet Radio | Blog Talk Radio – Zen Garcia interviews Laura Hershey, T.K. Small, Diane Coleman, and Julie Maury about protesting decision to Honor Jerry Lewis.
- New Mobility Magazine included Laura & her partner Robin in a story about Committed Couples in 2001
- Laura participated in the oral/video history project IT’S OUR STORY Answers from America’s Disability Activistsand they have an interview with her in 13 parts on YouTube:
- Laura Hershey, part 01 of 13: “Disabled in the Education System”
- Laura Hershey, part 02 of 13: “Making Friends in School”
- Laura Hershey, part 03 of 13: “Poster Child for MDA”
- Laura Hershey, part 04 of 13: “Jerry’s Kids”
- Laura Hershey, part 05 of 13: “Medical Clinics”
- Laura Hershey, part 06 of 13: “MDA and the IL Movement”
- Laura Hershey, part 07 of 13: “College Experience”
- Laura Hershey, part 08 of 13: “Wanting to be Non-Disabled”
- Laura Hershey, part 09 of 13: “Disability in England and the US”
- Laura Hershey, part 10 of 13: “Independent Living Centers in the 80’s”
- Laura Hershey, part 11 of 13: “Disability is a Civil Rights Issue”
- Laura Hershey, part 12 of 13: “Disability in Natural Disaster”
- Laura Hershey, part 13 of 13: “Denver as a Magnet”
Many will remember Laura Hershey in the days, months, and years to come, and learn from her work, as we have.